Saturday, April 07, 2007
The hostel we stayed in, the Easy Martin, was really nice and new, so we all had a good night§s rest. However, the shower wasn§t working, and the receptionist had no idea what to do, so all of us kind of had to make do with just attending to the bare necessities of basic hygieně=p It§s a lto better than it sounds, because we weren§t all that dirty, having traveled in an air conditioned bus all day, and arriving only at night. That said, I hope the shower is working tonight!
I love Prague! It is the most charming, beautiful city...every corner yields a new photo opportunity- today we walked around aimlessly and managed to somehow see most of the major sights, like the clock tower with the revolving toy figurines, the bridge, the Concert Hall and the Grand Cafe Praha which Kafka used to frequent (he also used to live above it). This time I actually took many, many photos, so I can§t wait to upload them so you guys can see! Besides touring the above places, we also went shopping-many big department stores here, like Debenhams and Sephora...I don§t even dare calculate how much I§ve spent=p We also tried the Prague bratwurst at an Easter market- its this huge sausage, german style, which they grill for you before presenting it in a hot toasted baguette. It§s really good!
The whole of Praha is celebrating Easter, so there are many Easter themed knick-knacks for sale at these Easter markets- besides the usual array of cultural food, there were wooden toys, miniature replicas of the gorgeous Astronomical Clock (I will buy one tomorrow), and paintings of Prague (will also have to get some of these). There were even bunches of willow sticks tied together with colorful ribbons-only for symbolic purposes of course, since their original employment was for whipping young women on Easter Day- this is done by the young men in a bid to bestow fertility. Of course, Easter cannot be complete without chocolate bunnies, goodies and Easter eggs, all of which featured prominently in many store fronts. I bought a really pretty one with a sketch of the Prague castle on it, and the words "Praha" behind, to commemorate having spent Easter in Prague=)
It§s actually not very late now, and we will be heading back to the city to see nighttime Prague. We also found this bizzare Sex Machine Museum along one of the little streets, which opens till 10pm at night, and we want to go see that! At the entrance of the museum they had this hilarious centerpiece...I dont even know how to describe it really. But I took plenty of pictures, so you all know what to look out for when I upload them. Will take more later when I go...I wonder what they§ll have for sale at the gift shop? Heh.
Saturday, April 07, 2007