Thursday, March 08, 2007
It is weird being in a country where the primary language isn't English... I say this because I missed my second movie class just now (couldn't find the place- and it kills me because I'm sure the class would've been fun, its held in a proper movie theater too), and that reminded me of watching Babel last Wednesday.
So it was just the three of us, Laura, Cynthia and I, and of all the movies to choose from we had to go pick Babel (the other choice was Hollywoodland- because we like Adrian Brody). There was a bit of confusion at the ticketing office, but we decided finally that if subtitles came in Hungarian then the movie must be in safe,
comprehensible English. How the hell were we supposed to know it was done in 3 languages?!! In the end, we watched it without totally understanding the parts not involving Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett, which meant that 2/3rds of the movie was kind of lost to us.
The scene with Rinko Kikyuchi (I think that's the Japanese girl's name) in a club sort of reminded me of Zouk though...which is one other thing I miss about Singapore. Not Zouk specifically, just the drinking places in general, because the ones here, even the really popular ones, are mostly small and kind of out of the way. At least they seem so to me, because we have whole streets lined with clubs and bars (think Clarke Quay), but here you have to navigate labyrinthine alleyways with no streetlights to get to someplace. The clubs are mostly in better condition (decor and furnishings wise), but the pubs here are the tiny hole-in-the-wall variety. I don't even know how people find these places. I wish sometimes that they could see Clarke Quay (As far as I am concerned this is the nighttime capital of Singapore) or Mohammad Sultan even. The interior is also really, really different. I don't mean to sound like a snob, but I'm kind of used to places like the Forbidden City and Brewerkz and Villa Bali(normal drinking places right), and when I first went to Szimpla I was bewildered because it was kind of
dirty. Like, there was zero effort made decor-wise... the pieces of furniture didn't even match! (my friend says they probably bought them from second hand stores or filched them from dumpsters, which made me hesitate before sitting down) You get used to this after a while, but I still miss the pretty places we have back home=/Cheap alcohol isn't all it's cracked up to be- sometimes I think I prefer expensive alcohol in prettier surroundings...
Thursday, March 08, 2007