Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The Chain Bridge (Lanchid)- a really important symbol in Budapest for reasons I cannot recall

It is pretty though, but supposedly more so at night

Buda Castle

This part of the castle is more like a park, lots of people walking their dogs here

Much later I realize I was just at the back part, the main part is massive and we went there for culture class field trip...it houses the National library and the National Gallery too

I ended up climbing really high...it was a crappy, foggy day but you can sort of see tiny Budapest from here

Though I could only get a photo of his back (ass).

The path up Gellert Hill; I decided to pay him a visit...

Saint Gellert Hill- that's Saint Gellert (duh) up there. He died a horrible death trying to convert the Magyars(Hungarians) to Christianity- apparently they didn't like it and threw him into the Danube so he drowned. Eventually they regretted that and built this statue in honor of him (Sounds like the dragon boat festival story, except instead of building a statue we invented rice dumplings)

The famous Gerbeaud Cafe-the gorgeous Tiramisu creation in one of the last photos was from here. Wish I had some photos of the interior.

This is Vaci Utca (a small open part)

Random fountain outside a bank along Vaci Utca

At the end of Vaci Utca (Budapest's Orchard Road)- where you can see Erszebet (or is it Freedom?) Bridge
Tuesday, March 06, 2007