Friday, February 16, 2007
I hate debit cards because they are not accepted here. Now I am poor (I have about 100 euros left for the next week or so). Whoever knew that they were not like credit cards- everyone in Singapore knows they are about the same. Now I have to write home and beg my parents to send a credit card over by courier services, and God knows how long that would take!
Living on your own is difficult, and not as much fun as it would seem. The whole "being independent" thing is only fun when you exclude the daily duties, like washing clothes and cooking. Strictly speaking I don't have to do the latter (because I can eat out)...but then that would be like saying I don't have to learn to wash clothes because I can shop for new ones and never do laundry ever. It is a most tempting idea, but in light of my new financial situation not a very feasible one. besides, what would I do with a whole closet full of winter clothes? If I brought them back to Singapore and wore them I would get heatstroke in about 5 seconds.
Anyhow, I do try my best, because I figured out how to do laundry the other day. Where do you suppose the water in the washing machine comes from? Before today I always assumed you had to pour water in! It is the most fascinating thing ever, that the water in the machine comes from nowhere and goes to wherever after it is done. I also am wondering how clothes can be washed just by spinning them around and around in soapy water, it is so much easier than having to scrub them. If my dishes were plastic and therefore breakage proof, do you think the washing machine would double up as a dishwasher? I absolutely detest washing dishes, and I think the principle behind washing dishes and clothes are about the same...(It goes to show that you only need to be resourceful and creative to survive=) )
The Internet guy is coming over at 1 o'clock today, so I will be connected again if all goes well. Then I can upload the pictures and you all can see my friends! And my school (which is gorgeous) and the streets of Europe in general. It really is pretty over here, but Singapore has much better malls, and more food. Here alot of dishes are cuts of meat- it is a vegetarian's worst nightmare though fortunately I am not and never will be a vegetarian (my ancestors didn't spend a millenia or so clawing their way up the food chain for me to become a vegetarian- eating other animals is the whole point of having opposable thumbs I'm sure). Its almost 12 now, so Ciao!
Friday, February 16, 2007